Living in Florida means fun in the sun and mild winters, but it can also mean dealing with serious heat waves. If you’ve ever tried to keep your AC in Boca Raton running through a particularly brutal hot spell, you know it can be challenging to stay comfortable when the mercury starts to rise. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce strain on your air conditioner through extreme heat.
Quick Troubleshooting Tips for AC in Boca Raton
While it’s definitely possible for new and meticulously maintained air conditioner units to struggle through the hottest part of the season, sometimes your AC in Boca Raton just needs a bit of help. If you’re having trouble keeping your home comfortable, there could be a mechanical cause. These can include but are certainly not limited to:
- Leaks – From slow refrigerant leaks to air loss in poorly-sealed ductwork inside your home, sometimes this can cause your AC in Boca Raton to have trouble keeping up. However, depending on the type of unit you have, repairing refrigerant leaks can often be a quick and easy fix.
- Blockages – On the opposite side of the leaks coin, blockages can also cause difficulty for your air conditioner unit. This is a particular area of concern for Florida residents, as the salty air from the coast can be a major contributor to blockages. It’s also important to keep an eye out for corrosion. A thin film of salt can often coat metal parts of your condenser unit, which then attracts moisture. Together, salt and moisture can cause corrosion to metals like steel, copper, and aluminum.
- Dirty Air Filters – It isn’t always easy to remember those household chores pertaining to areas of the home you can’t easily see. Unfortunately, out of sight often does mean out of mind, especially in today’s fast-paced world. Even though you can’t see your air filters unless you open the grate, it’s vital to replace them regularly. The more dirt, dust, and debris that builds up on a filter, the harder your entire AC in Boca Raton is working. During high-demand times like a heatwave, a dirty filter can be enough to slow cooling efficiency or increase strain on the system.
Helping Your AC in Boca Raton Get the Job Done All Summer Long
There’s a very real difference between voluntary fun in the outdoor sun and trying to live in a hot, stuffy house all summer. No matter how much you may love the hot season in Florida, you want the indoors to be cool and refreshing.
Keeping up with maintenance and annual inspections is important, but even well-maintained air conditioners need all the help they can get when demand is at its peak. To get the most out of your AC in Boca Raton, it’s sometimes necessary to give your unit a bit of a helping hand.
- Don’t Cool Unused Rooms – If extra bedrooms, bathrooms, or other spaces in your home aren’t regularly used, consider closing the vents during the worst of the hot weather. Also, keep doors in these rooms closed, so cooled air remains in the spaces where your household is sheltering from the heat.
- Keep the Sun Outside – Sunny days are a beautiful sight to behold, but if you want to keep your home cool during the peak of the hot season, it’s a good idea to keep the shades closed.
- Skip the Stove – Turning on the stove and dishwasher is a surefire way to heat your kitchen, even with the AC in Boca Raton running full blast.
- Take Advantage of Fans – While fans, ceiling-mounted or otherwise, don’t lower the temperature in a room, they do make it feel cooler to the people inside. This can help you beat the heat when your AC is struggling under heavy demand.
Now is the perfect time to get your AC in Boca Raton ready for the impending summer heat. AMI Air Conditioning can help!